Shadow Dragon Interviews Landy
Alan Dykes - October, 1996
- Please state your name and afflictions.
- Landy. Maybe in OS maybe in DC... who cares? now i say only from my own mind.
- You write an Emulator correct? Could you please tell us what system, and what it does?
- yes i trying write an decent NES emulator... it's a Nintendo Entertainment System emulator... Now it does not much :) just waste disk space :)
- oh, and what is the name of the Emulator?
- name.. i don't know.. :) really.. :) first code what i write.. (pure C) i called as 'iNES', but now iNES means portable emulator.. and my own emulator not portable.. thus..
- I see, iNES has been ported though correct?
- iNES is fixed, improved, expanded version of my previous C code..
for example my previous C code not draw screen correct (colors).. and not
- I see, what exactly does it run right now (ROMs), and on what systems will it run?
- it really not run big roms.. only small games w/o mapper.. but i works on fast page swapper..
btw.. now fetch byte from ROM take the same time as previous Fetch Byte w/o mapper :)
oh my english really bad :) it's really fast.. bcoz i use Watcom C++, FLAT memory model for initialize emulator my NES emu required at least 386 PC...
- Well, it is ok, the other big NES emulator (PasoFami) does sound, does your emulator support sound, and if not, when will it (Sound seems to be a big thing as far as EMUs go)
- i don't know how memory needs now.. ~400K for internal caches
+ 4 times*GameROM size(in future)...
no: VideoROM*4+PRG_ROM... i hope 4MB enough for not very big games...
as i told 8 months ago.. i need US NES for do decent sound.
i'm not satisfying with sound what i can produce by my ChineseNES crap..
thus until i'm not get US NES, i'm not emulating sound.. i plan do
SB/SB16/GUS digital sound.. no FM. of course it take CPU time for generate
sound.. but generate like 500 bytes per interrupt not much... as i know NES
have mono sound.. at 22Khz. 22050/60Hz= <400 bytes :)
- right :), well, that about wraps it up, you have anything you would like to add?
- uhm.. add to what? :) i'm stupid like moose in King Quest 3 :)
- Any other comments, or anything else you would like to say
- i hope i get some free time in future and finish NES emu..
btw.. i'm interesting in Java language and will prepare my web page
:) maybe Mario on web page - it's cool idea? :)
- Kewl idea :)
Well, thank you for the interview Landy.